Breakfast at Flury's

by - 10/11/2017 02:40:00 pm

Hey y'all,

Breakfast for me is always Dosa and occasionally semiya/sevai/upma. And very rarely do I take cornflakes/chia seeds pudding/maggi. It has been so very long that I wanted to go out for breakfast on a Sunday. But I have to get back home after church before the closing of  my favorite mutton stall. Last time when I went out for breakfast was in Darjeeling at the legendary Keventers. There are many cafes in Kolkata, which provide scrumptious breakfast - The Whistling Kettle, Soul cafe, Eat me good and it would be a sin if I miss the legendary Flury's. There is even a book about this tearoom.


So this week our Sunday started on a crispy note, as we were getting ready to go to St. Paul's Cathedral after almost 2-3 weeks. After finishing our mass, we headed to Flury's for breakfast (Mutton was taken care of!). Coming to this cafe, this cafe was started around 1930's by the Britishers and this place still has a vintage aura around it.

I have been to this cafe thrice in the last 2 years, once with William, once with my mom and once alone. But every time I go, it feels like visiting the British era all new, thanks to those big round pillars, black and white chequered marbles, the glass walls overlooking the street, the chandeliers,etc. The place serves you authentic English breakfast with Ham and Cheese stuffed omelette and beans on toast as their Heritage favorites.

What we ordered:
Will ordered English breakfast and Assam tea for him and I ordered French Toast with watermelon juice for me. Coming to the menu, English breakfast has 2 toasts with butter and jam, 2 eggs - sunny side up, 1 roasted tomato, 2 hash browns, 2 bacon rashes and 2 sausages. The rashes are long, medium-rare and juicy pieces. The sausages are one of the best I have ever had. They don't taste like old frozen cuts, instead they taste fresh and tender and very soft. I would have loved mashed potatoes with this but hash browns filled the spot.
My French toast had 2 long egg battered cinnamon cakes with some fruits and maple syrup. When I saw what was on my plate, I was so sure it would not be a filling one. Alas, when I finished my first toast, it was almost filling! I had to share the next one with Will.





Experience:
The experience was not that great mainly because of the waiting time. After being used to 20 mins waiting time at Flury's, 40 minutes was exhausting. You read that right, 40 bloody minutes!! You might want to argue about the vibe of the place but enjoying the vibe for 40 minutes is little too much. There were many angry customers who left the place after waiting for a ridiculously long time. So this time my experience was not pleasant, but very irritating. The careless waiters don't seem to notice even if you wave at them. I already started dreaming about my soon-to-be lunch Mutton Biryani :( When I started getting this irritated stares from William, even I wanted to get out of the place but thankfully the meal came before that.

If paying the bill could be counted as an 'experience', let me warn you about burning hole in your pocket. The prices are insanely expensive. English breakfast was for Rs. 580 and French toast was for Rs. 450. After GST, it felt like having the breakfast with Mr. Modi and Ms. Didi.

Overall, it was good food if the experience is ignored. Once in a while, there is nothing wrong in treating yourself at this tearoom. Flury's as a bakery is top notch and no body in this city can compete with the pastries of Flury's, but, as a restaurant, Flury's should not sit back relaxed and enjoy the legacy. There are other vintage cafes catching up with better hospitality and cheaper price. Whistling Kettle serves you authentic English breakfast all the way from Darjeeling's Keventers. Serafina offers you original Italian breakfast with great hospitality. The Country House Cafe doesn't burn a hole in your pocket. Milee Droog cafe and Bistro offers are good. So Flury's should keep this in mind and serve their customers with a happy grin :) :) Would love to visit this place again but not in the near future.

Much love,
Sindhura.



You May Also Like

0 comments